Thursday, November 25, 2004

Prologue

The mist is thicker than the air. Air is grounded and mist is freely blowing all over the place. Fall colors and warmth have evaporated and given way to the chilly winds for past few weeks. As I look out of my bedroom window, the room seems to extend in a blanket of white. The white extends all-around reaches the sky, reaches the next hill which is usually seen form my room and beyond. Few trees which are barely visible have shed leaves and are anticipating the shower of frost and snow any day now. These are the last days of November and winter is fast approaching in Philadelphia.

This is the city which welcomed me in some similar circumstances when I first landed here. But this atmosphere is in stark contrast with my desires and hope for the future that I brought with me when I came here. The desires and hope are alive and have grown stronger in this period. My desire, hope and determination give me the strength each day to wake up and face the world and what it throws toward me with a smile. And as far as I know I am doing well.

I am among the millions who came to this country as skilled software professionals and work here to find better standards of living. This idea holds in my heart that surviving here and working here means that I am doing better in my life and career. Everyone knows that there is price to pay to travel to a foreign country. In my case, I live alone speak to my siblings and father once a week. But this is way of living the big American Dream. I don’t feel any need to justify my decision to come to America in one way or the other. This is my life and I have been living as I thought would be correct.

Many Indians come to this land of opportunity looking for a better life. The lure of western world is overwhelming. Its not just the money which is alluring but the fact that one will be able to escape the not so likable circumstances is more fascinating. America attracts people for its prosperity and wealth. Not to mention the quality of life here is far better than in the circumstances I was born. By quality of life I mean, the material comforts are available here that are not so freely available there in India. These comparisons are no more valid as situation in India is changing fast and for the better. India has been making progress in each area and especially in technology. But even then Indians keep coming here. And most of the Indians are software professionals.

Indian culture dates back to about 10,000 BC. Growing up I hear stories how our nation was a strong and rich country. Rich not only in resources like silk, gold and other minerals, but also culturally great. Indian scriptures take us back to thousands to centuries before Christ was born. The Vedas, Upanishads and of course Bhagwad Geeta have tons of knowledge in many different subjects like math, geography, metaphysics, astronomy, astrology and every other aspect of day to day living. But as it happens to every culture there is a rise and then decline, so it happened with India too. Infighting among various groups and other discrepancies crept in the fabric of society and India declined to an impoverished country. So much so that India was a colony of British till 1947. But after independence, there has been slow and steady progress. Population and corruption are two major hurdles in growth of India. And many Indians aspire to somehow escape from this under developed place and head towards more prosperous places.
Most of us return after a stay of some years. For some surviving here for few months is also difficult. The first thing that one confronts is the cultural shock. If you have not actually felt this shock, then you know what I am talking about. The moral values, attitude of people toward life and work are completely different. I am learning about these differences and the innate similarity that we all are human beings no matter from which part of the word we belong. The faith in my abilities and a profound hope for a better future hold me through this journey.

Coming to a new country is a unique experience. This has been a learning process and I believe this has made me grow as a person. I am aware that many have been in similar situations and have documented their versions of experiences. Nonetheless, I wish to share my experience as well. I think each living person is unique and so every experience is worth a story. I will try to narrate this story in an interesting way.

No comments: